Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Post

I love to read. I don't do it much anymore, but I used to spend hours reading and reading. When the blog world came alive I found a few blogs I really enjoyed and kept up with. At times I also read the comments others have left on certain posts, which is sometimes more entertaining than the original post.

I've read enough blogs and comments to know that whenever a blog writer, no matter how deeply they are loved and admired, writes something that's a little against the flow (or a lot against the flow), the catch a lot of flack from their readers. Negative comments abound, even from those who have followed for a long time. There are still a few that defend, more that stay quiet. 

People have a right to their opinions, and those who write publicly have to expect that at some point they will receive negative responses. It's part of our eclectic, ever-changing society and unless one goes into hiding and complete hermit mode, we will all have to deal with negative opinions at some point in our lives.

If my blog was actually read by more than a handful, I'm pretty sure this post would end up with a lot of negative comments. I can read them in my head already: "stop being so negative and focus on the positive," "this is one day of the year only happy stuff should be posted," "get over yourself already."  I could keep going and be much more detailed, but why ruin it for anyone who really does what to respond with a similar reflection.

Today is Thanksgiving. Happy day of expressing all thankfulness for all the blessings we have. Happy Turkey Day. Happy Day when the Pilgrims came and started a genocide of the American Indians. These aren't actually my thoughts, just ones I've seen floating around on facebook this week.

This morning I've already seen the title to several blogs that read "What I'm most thankful for" and similar ideas. Today is the day where bloggers get to sing the praises of thankfulness and all they have.

I've always had issues with holidays. There are valid reasons, but there are also opinionated reasons for my dislike of national days of this or that.

I think part of my attitude comes simply from my rebellious nature. I'm definitely one who goes her own way, especially when I'm told to go another way. I'm definitely an in charge, in complete control kind of person. Yep, it's gotten me in a lot of trouble and I've somewhat learned to tame it, but it still gets the better of me often.

I don't need a national holiday of someone telling me to be thankful. I don't do the 30 day facebook posts of what I'm thankful for every day. I don't force my kids to sit at breakfast on this one morning and say what they are thankful for. Why not?

Because it is something I want for my everyday and their everyday, not just the focus on one day a year. 

Yes, I understand that even those who love this holiday and love the thankful posts feel the same way (or at least I hope so). Although there are those on my newsfeed (well, I usually block from my newsfeed) who complain and whine all year, then in November magically turn into the most thankful person on earth. I'm not even gonna start down that road.

I will say I am thankful for a day in which our nation lets us have a break and do whatever we want (within reason). Some people still work, some people go on vacation, some stay home alone, but whatever it is they choose, it's one of a few 'free' days that our nation recognizes as a break.

We get so caught up in our plans and being thankful that we often forget those who really struggle with days like today. Thanksgiving and Christmas are two of the most difficult holidays of the year. It doesn't help that the majority of the nation has been sun deprived during this time, resulting in a bent towards sadness and depression.

I really thought my struggle and negativeness towards this was just really tainting my view of the holidays until I read a post from someone yesterday about remembering all those who have a very hard time with Thanksgiving.  Whew, maybe I'm not completely stubborn and so submerged in depression that I'm delusional. 

I would hope those who come to mind first would be those who have nothing. I'm not talking about third world countries, I'm talking about right here, one street over, a few blocks away from where you live, there is someone without a home. There are those waking up in make shift tents and free shelters this morning, wondering if they will have a bed again tonight. It's not just individuals either. My husband is a teacher and over the years he's had many students who were living in shelters with their families. Families like mine, with innocent little kids, depending on a cot or two and the kindness of strangers to keep them safe and warm and fed. I know what it's like to miss meals in order for my kids to have enough to eat, but I can't imagine having no food or home to give them. The heartache and burden of those moms and dads must be so heavy. Even though today is one day they are guaranteed a free meal (if they go looking for one), it doesn't soften the blow of reality and what tomorrow will be like.

Kudos to those who spend today serving, helping, donating time, money and food in order to help these people. I've been one of them many times.  My hope is that for those one-timers who check off 'do a good deed' from their good person list will realize the need for their help every single day. To see these people as people just like themselves is my hope, because inside, we are all wanting and needing the same things. 

It may be their fault, but not always. Even so, it is never a child's fault for being in such a dire position.

How dare we ever judge anyone. We need to learn to simply love.

Besides those obviously needing remembered today, there are many, many more who get overlooked because they aren't blatant with the sadness today brings. They have homes, food, basic necessities or even extravagancies.  They may or may not have families to spend the day with. Those with no families but all the things need thought of today, no matter why they have no family. They will most likely turn down an invitation to your large family gathering, but that doesn't mean you can't call, drop by with a plate, spend half an hour talking with them or something else seemingly small that could encourage their hearts.

Don't judge. Show love.

There are also those surrounded by family and blessings galore, but whose heart hurts on this day for whatever reason. These are the most overlooked, because they have gotten good at pretending or hiding. They are easy to miss. They are friends. They are even family. 

Of all the days to show love, encouragement and care for everyone we meet, this holiday is one of them. Step outside of yourself, your traditions, your 'it's about me and us' attitudes and look for ways to be an encouragement to everyone you have contact with today. We don't need to understand, we have no right to judge and we don't need to know why.

We just need to love.

John 13:34 ~"...just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another..."


No comments:

Post a Comment