Saturday, November 16, 2013

WARNING: do not read if you offend easily

An atheist, a lesbian, and a Christian all walk into a room...

It sounds like the opening to some offensive, usually vile, joke doesn't it? For those of you waiting for the punchline, there isn't one.

This was actually how I spent my afternoon.

If you're a Christian, and still reading because you weren't offended, thank you. If you're an atheist or lesbian and you're still reading, thank you. I'm needing much understanding and grace on this blogpost, because I am in no way claiming I know all or that my opinions or viewpoints or preconceived ideas won't get me into trouble.

I spent the afternoon with my third born at a friend's house. My friend is an atheist. She had a few other friends over, one who is a lesbian. 

It was a moment in which I knew the importance of my attitude and actions. I could be the modern Superchristian and show obvious disdain for the views represented, been judgy and rude, and show myself as the obvious best one of them all because *I* was a Christian OR I could be loving and kind, knowing that although I didn't agree and do not believe the same way, that I had been (still am) a sinner who has been rescued.

This is something that's been in my head the past week, after spending several hours last week with this friend who is an atheist. She and I met last year, soon after the birth of our youngests, who are only two weeks apart. Our friendship grew and we got along (and laughed a lot) every time we were together. Somewhere in the springtime, I learned she was an atheist. She already knew I was a Christian. It was an interesting, eye opening moment for me.

I openly admitted to her that I didn't agree with her, and that I didn't understand her decision, but that I had honestly never been friends with an atheist. I told her I had some questions for her and since then we occasionally have a conversation of beliefs. She is very respectful to me, despite strongly disagreeing with me, and the same is returned. I told her that I have no intention of hurting her with flippant, ignorant words and if I did to please confront me and talk with me about it.  Her opinion of the 'religious,' as she calls me, is they are high nosed, snotty, better than everyone people and that anyone who disagrees with them is instant hell bait with no chance of reconciling. 

Of course, by their standards atheists don't even have a chance with God.

I wish I could say I was surprised at her thinking towards Christians, but I'm not. Many Christians put themselves so far above others, thinking that they were 'worthy enough' for God to save them, but not everyone else is as worthy.

"Only a sinner, saved by grace." The words to a hymn I've known since childhood immediately enter my head.

I've told her in no way do I believe myself better than she. I also told her if I ever acted that way to call me out on it.

I care about her, and I treat her as I treat my Christian friends (and other God believing, non-Christian friends). 

Do I agree? No. Do I think she needs Jesus? Yes.  Do I think offending her as a person is the way to show her Jesus' love? No. Do I tell her I think she's wrong? No. She knows I don't believe her thinking is right, that I still believe she needs Jesus and she even knows I pray for her. And even though she isn't 'okay' with it, she doesn't tell me not to. Would her response be the same if I spent my time being judgmental and preachy at her? I don't think so.

Jesus met people where they were. He taught them truth right where their sinful hearts were. He loved them in spite of their unbelief.

If only I could follow His example.

My atheist friend and I had a good time together. I also made a new friend as I got along really well with her friend who was a lesbian. Since the labels are being thrown out, I'm a Christian. 

**My intention isn't to label anyone, but in order to keep names out of this post, I'm using them for descriptive purposes only**

Before you misunderstand, I'm NOT saying we should all live together in harmony. I'm saying we can't reach people where they are if we aren't willing to go where they are. They need the love of Jesus and need to see it in me. 

I welcome any comments, but will delete any I find inappropriate. Thanks. :)




2 comments: