Saturday, October 9, 2010

Impossible is NOT a Word

All that is necessary to break the spell of frustration is this: Act as if it were impossible to fail."
– Dorothea Brande


My beautiful children had me up way early this morning, which is not only odd for a Saturday, but it's odd for them to be up before 9 ANY day! {secretly mommy is happy because it should mean even the oldest will take a nap today... maybe} ;)


However, since baby still had a rough night, I am tired.  So I decided to start my day on the computer, which rarely happens.


I logged on to facebook this morning, and one of my sweet aunts had the quote above as her status.  It caught my attention because of one word: IMPOSSIBLE.


I have crazy feelings about that word.  In fact, I'm pretty sure if you can hate a word, that would be the word I hate.


I grew up being pushed to be a perfectionist (and since it was in my blood, it was also a natural tendency for me).  Therefore, impossible was not an acceptable response or attitude towards anything.


However, like most imperfect humans, IMPOSSIBLE was often a possibility, even a choice.  I HATED it.  If I do everything 'right' and put in the hard work and effort, then impossible should not be an option for the outcome.


As I grew into an adult, and life became... life... impossible seemed to be MY word.  I gave in to it too.  I allowed it to be an acceptable outcome, and acceptable choice.


But of course, instead of it making life easier, it made life harder.  It became too easy to get out of things, to not try, to compromise right and wrong.  


The past few months, God has been teaching me that IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A WORD.  I've known the verse 'With God all things are possible' since as far back as I can remember.  He's really been teaching me the meaning of this verse.  


It doesn't mean that everything I try and want and desire will happen.  It CAN happen if that's God's will for me.  If I'm in His will, then my wants and desires will be His, and the possibilities are endless and amazing!


The above quote also reminded me of a song He's been playing for me recently: What Faith Can Do by Kutless.  


Specifically this line:  "It doesn't matter what you've heard, impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try".


This morning it was a crazy, perfect timing, eye opening realization for me.  


"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength!"


I shouldn't let fear, uncertainty, feelings of inadequacy tell me that something is impossible.  If it is what God is calling me to do, encouraging me to do, then impossible is not a word.



1 comment:

  1. that same line of that song has been running through my head so often lately too! i'm not a perfectionist, i'm actually very opposite of that, so i use the excuse of impossible to let me off the hook of working hard to change some things in my life that need to be changed.

    i love how you said that within God's will, the possibilities are endless! so true. :)

    ReplyDelete