Monday, May 30, 2011

Hearing vs. Listening Part 2

I don't usually do a follow up to a blogpost, but in this case my last post warrants a follow up...

I WISH greatly that my follow up was about the lessons I learned from the not-so-fun incidents I posted about.

However, it's not.

Instead it's a continuance of the week...

Do you get where I'm going?


We all have bad weeks.  Sometimes emotional weeks based on difficult circumstances and sometimes weeks filled with everything and then some going wrong and having to figure out how to fix it ASAP.

I left off with the dryer dying.  I spent the week without it, and only washed diapers and towels, the two things I love to hang outside to dry (and that the sun bleaching them isn't a problem).  Bryan investigated the dryer to see what happened and how to fix it, and inside he found one of the towels with burns on it.  yes... BURNS.  Once again, we realized God's hedge of protection around us.  Here was this super dry towel, in the midst of several other super dry towels, catching on fire, but never actually starting a fire... perhaps because that was the time the dryer killed itself.



Obviously that was the time HE chose to kill the dryer.

The dryer wasn't fixable.  Well, it was, for almost the cost of a new one... neither we had money for.  But in our minds, we were NOT going to fix it... we just didn't trust it anymore... {{can you blame us?}}

Thursday came, and it was the day I needed to bake Ruby's birthday cake for her birthday on Friday.  I turned on the oven, was getting the cake mix ready, and all I could smell was propane gas.  I opened the oven, and saw the pilot light was lighting, but the oven was ice cold.  Yep, the oven died.

I think I just laughed at that point...  I don't quite remember.  I more or less have blocked it from my memory...

I just couldn't do one more thing...


Noah's graduation was that afternoon, and my in-laws came over.  We don't usually share our distresses with them, but my husband mentioned the oven to them and my mother-in-law gave us the money we needed for the repair (we needed to replace a part that cost $60).  We were VERY grateful and even more so that my hubby was able to fix it by that evening.  Her cake turned into a cupcake cake {because they bake faster} and I was okay with that.  Wasn't what I wanted or had planned, but she loved it. :)  {a good reminder that I don't have to be so over the top with everything}.


Friday morning was going to be busy finishing up everything for her party that evening, so bright and early my husband went out to the van to run some quick errands, only to find a flat tire on our van...  and NOT a flat on one of the 2 new tires we bought last month (due to a flat), which would have been repaired/replaced for free.  It was a flat on an old tire...  He put the spare on, investigated the tire to see if we could repair it {{guess what, nope}}, and finally, a bit behind schedule, continued with the day.

The party went well...  The house and the yard weren't completely clean (and some of the house not even close), but everyone seemed to have a good time and the kids had a blast simply playing in the yard together. Ruby was happy, and therefore it was a success. :)



Saturday, Bryan went to work, and I was taking my mom, sis/bil/nephew and kids to the zoo.  We went out to the van and guess what... the spare was flat.

I refused to even think about it and we reloaded into my mom's expedition and spent the day at the zoo.

Sunday, Bryan fixed the spare and went to work.  I took my sis/bil/nephew and kids to cosi for the day, then home to a relaxing evening of grilling, a fire, and making smores.

So far today has been uneventful....  as far as anything breaking down that is...  praying it stays that way as we have to spend the day trying to figure out and fix all of the events of last week.

And since this whole post has basically been a dumping out of a blah week, I will have to follow this up sometime with the lessons we will learn through these things.

We know God is in control, we know His ways are higher, and we know He has a purpose in these hardships.  I'm hoping I just hang in there long enough to listen and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment