Thursday, January 13, 2011

more food...

I've never posted a 'food' post... ya know, the kind that shows you step by step how to make something incredibly yummy and beautiful all at the same time?

It's not because I can't cook.  I actually love to cook!  LOVE it...

{Don't ask about baking}

I think it's because I do things my own unique way.

Yes, unique, that's a good word for it. ;)

For some odd reason I decided to 'document' the making of an appetizer I prepared for Christmas Eve.  They weren't anything special... I actually think the brightness of the tomatoes drew me to photograph them. :)

I was not at home, so I would have changed the way I did a few things, but they still turned out. :)  AND they were fun and easy to make (and oh so yummy to eat). ;)

Stuffed Tomatoes (I have no clue what the 'real' name is).

I picked up some Campari tomatoes at the local Walmart.  I've never noticed Camparis before, but they fascinated me.  Larger than a cherry tomato, smaller than a ...regular... tomato...
They are the perfect size to stuff and share as an appetizer!
**sidenote...this pic was more for me... so I could remember what they were called..  ha**



Wash and dry tomatoes (hard stuff, I know)



Pit tomatoes.  Hmm... I don't think it's called 'pitting' with tomatoes,because they don't have a pit.  Well, whatever it's called, I'm saying to scoop out the insides.  
I did this by cutting a hole in the top, then scraped the insides with a small spoon.
(my mom didn't have a scoop that would've made this easier).
The skin on the tomatoes is tougher than you think, so you can scrape with a fair amount of pressure (just remember they ARE tomatoes).
**the insides can be used for many different recipes, or even strained for tomato juice**



Tada... empty tomatoes!
You will want to wash or wipe them down before filling to get all the extra insides off the outside.
**at first I tried to make sure they were neatly cut circles, then realized it didn't matter.  the dip will cover the edges so no one will know anyway**



Tomatoes can be filled with any of your favorite dips.  
Be sure to make dip in advance and chill so it is easier to fill the tomatoes.
I used the Bacon Bacon dip from Tastefully Simple 
{because I sell Tastefully Simple at www.tastefullysimple.com/web/aking3}
Nice plug, huh? :)
I thought a Bacon dip with a Tomato just sounded super!



Fill a baggie with dip and snip of a bit of one corner.
Or if you're at your own home and have decorator's bags, those would be even better! :P




Squeeze dip into tomatoes, allowing dip to come over top of the hole.
The warmer the dip gets, the runnier it gets, and the messier it gets.
Can you guess which one I filled last?



Top tomatoes with a variety of things: parsley, chives, green onions etc.  whatever you like.
I wanted something green, just to add a small splash of contrary color.
Alas, not being at home, I had nothing green to choose from, so these are topped with beer bread crumbles.
Yes, I said beer bread.  Also sold by Tastefully Simple. Also very yummy.


There you have it.  They are so yummy, somewhat healthy (especially if you use lower fat ingredients with your dip), and even eye-catching.  Oh, and quite easy {but no one will know unless you blog about it}. ;) 


Now I want to go make some... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment